Jan 19, 2009

Be of Service Day


In Oregon, so many community members came out to volunteer on Martin Luther King Day that websites specifically set up for volunteers to sign up on had to be shut down. Parks in Portland that asked for a dozen volunteers to spread barkdust etc. got as many as 100 volunteers show up and there wasn't enough work at those specific sites for that many extra people!

Obviously, President Elect Barack Obama's call to a "National Service Day" had an impact! I had to choose between working with others, or working alone. Since sewing is my volunteer act of choice, I stayed home and sewed on a donation quilt :)

I used some hodge-podge leftover scraps from someone else's baby gift quilt and just scrappied it together in random fun...to not only loosen myself up but to free my brain from 'have to's' and 'should of's' and just let free sewing fun take over.

I worked! It was a good day, a busy day, I got to stay home, to sew,and still feel I was doing something good for someone else. And in that fun process, I could join in with Cheri and so many others (MLK Charity Quilting Day: Be of Service) and still feel like I was community quilting in the company of a lot of good women.

Now, sewing doesn't get any better than that....

3 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is lovely. I'm glad you finally got a chance to quilt.

jovaliquilts said...

Great! It was fun to be working away and thinking of my fellow quilters doing the same! :)

Paula, the quilter said...

I did not get a chance to do anything yesterday, but on Jan 31 my guild is doing a charity work/sew day from 9-4. I *AM* going to do that. I need to clean and tune my featherweight which, btw, I do myself, and then I'll be all ready to go.